Sunday, February 7, 2016

Our Panamanian Anniversary

It's hard to believe that this week we celebrated a year of living in Panama. A year ago this week we said our final goodbyes to our family and friends in Gilbert. In order to make everyone's life a little happier and less stressful, we rented a vehicle and drove to Las Vegas. I can honestly say that was one of the best things to do since the pills the veterinarian gave us for our little dog did not work very well and enduring two flights would have been madness.

Notice most of the stuff we brought
is for the dogs...

The past year we have grown to know and love Panama. We have done some exploring around the country, although we would love to do more. Our fitness and over all health has improved since our move here. We have learned to surf, and paddle board. I have rekindled my love for yoga. I am still working on being able to touch my toes with straight legs...

After a year hear, we seem to think we have a decent understanding of Panama, although culture shock still hits us in spurts. Here are a few things we often discuss, and get asked:

Do you speak Spanish?/How is your Spanish?

N- I speak a little and am working on becoming more fluent. Robert speaks better than I do.

R- I feel like I can get by with most day to day activities; however, I still have a long way to go.


Miraflores Locks
Are you used to Panamanian food?

R- There isn't a lot of variety to me, but with chicken and rice. How can you go wrong?

N- In some ways. Plantains and yucca are food staples here and I have to admit, I am not a huge fan!

Play Venao



What do you miss most about the US?

R- Some kind of fresh fruit year round. Panama has some pretty delicious fruit during season; but in the off-season, the imports don't always make up for the difference.

N- I miss some of the food, in particular, fresh pumpkin, berries,  and brussels sprouts. Technology helps me not miss family and friends...

Golden Frog Festival in El Valle

Is there anything that you are still not used to about Panama?
R- Any government processes are incredibly slow. Watch Zootopia's DMV to relate.

N- The sense of "maƱana" and how if something is said to start at 2:00pm, you can still show up at 4:00 and not be the last person to arrive.

   
The Cathedral in Casco Viejo

What has been the biggest culture shock?
N- Being asked if I have the loose change while checking out.

R-When we first traveled down here, it was a culture shock on how slow and laid back the culture is. This can, however, create a really pleasant experience once you accept it, unless there is something you really need repaired right away.


The Biomuseum
What do you love most about Panama?
N- What's not to love? I like how different it is from the US and so I am growing as a person. I like the food quality from Panama; the eggs are fresh, and the pineapple is life-changing (once you have one here, one from the States is unacceptable). I also like the change of pace. Dining out doesn't feel rushed like it does in the States.


R- To me, Panama is a country of nearly endless possibilities. If there is something you are passionate about, you can probably make it happen.


                                  
                            Hiking Ancon Hill
"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone"-unknown. And so it has, and life is beautiful and scary. Here is to year two in Panama!

No comments:

Post a Comment