Sunday, November 13, 2016

Laptop Down and The Election.

A lot is going on lately. Not just in my life personally, but from a global perspective as well. I have been absent from the blog for about a month (despite not wanting to be) due to the fact that my laptop is currently down and I have to share a laptop. The election also just happened. I have to be honest, I am glad it is over. Because of the election, I am going to talk some politics, despite being raised otherwise. Sorry Mom.

My laptop died last week. I called Mac support to see if they could do anything. The only thing that can be done is to send it in for repair. Buying a Mac is awesome in the fact that it is still under warranty, which means that any time something goes wrong, I can send it in and get it fixed, no charge; however, it has to be with an authorized Mac repair store. My warranty does not extend to Latin America, so I would have to do it in the US. Friends of ours graciously took my laptop back to the US, since I would not be able to do it. We are sharing a laptop for the next six weeks. 



Now, with the election. The reaction within the US and worldwide is pretty intense. People kept asking me my opinion. There is one person I have openly spoken about the election with outside of Robert. I needed time to process my feelings about the election. So my fellow inquisitor(s), here is my opinion about the whole thing. 

Disclaimer: These are my opinions that I feel strongly about. I try to be as objective as I can about a subjective topic, in the respect that I try my best to back up my reasons when I deem appropriate. I welcome free speech. Any hateful rhetoric will not be tolerated, if I see any in the comments.

People I know had mixed emotions about the election. Some people were enthused about the news, while others are planning on moving out of the country. People that are not from the US also had mixed emotions. Some were excited about the results; however, many seemed distraught. 

Why do I bring up non Americans? Because a lot of countries are affected by our politics. Panama for example, has it's own currency, but their economy is 1:1 with the US Dollar and we use Balboas (Panamanian currency) interchangeably with US currency. One expat I know said the following quote:


I am slowly starting to see and understand this.

Personally, I did not find either candidate to be without flaws. My reaction to Trump winning, I imagine, would have been similar to if Clinton won: unsure of what the future holds for the US and the world. This election, for many, was not about the best candidate, rather the lesser evil of the candidates.

Protesters are going crazy, especially in Portland. People on both sides are upset on social media. Opposition against the protesters are calling these protesters babies. To those people who say that, please keep in mind that Trump supporters were already preparing for protests, including the Milwaukee sheriff that said it is "pitchforks and torches time" if Clinton were elected. While I do not agree with the riots, protests were bound to happen regardless of who got elected. 

It astounds me how people hope that Trump fails. If he fails, we fail. Regardless of whether we like it, Trump is going to be our next president. If he gets impeached (based off various news articles stating this could happen) then Pence will be president. Those who are anti-Trump will be dealing with somebody with a very conservative tract record. 

I have some hopes over the next four years. I hope that Trump is a successful president; his success is our success. I hope that Trump is able to bring the US together. I hope now that the Republicans control the three major governments things will get done without blaming the Democrats. You guys have no excuse, so get it together and walk the talk you've been talking.

I hope that people realize how important voting is. I read that this year was a "good" voter turn out with 57% of  people voting. The US may not be perfect, but we are able to have an opinion and put our opinions into action by voting. Not everyone gets that right.  Regardless of which candidate you vote for, VOTE!

So, that is my take on the whole election. That is what is going on in my life right now. I will try to do another post in about two weeks, around Thanksgiving. On that note, I hope everyone has a safe and festive holiday and that nobody has to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment