Sunday, January 7, 2018

A New Years Resolution I didn't Intend to Keep

I am not one for making New Years resolutions. I learned very quickly, in first grade, that keeping them was not realistic. What kid can stay away from chocolate forever? From then on out I would either avoid making them or I would jokingly make one, with no intention to actually keep it. Joke's on me, since I actually kept it!

It turns out that this year I unintentionally kept my resolution: to read at least 12 books this year. While it might not seem like a big deal to some of my bookworm friends out there, it is to me. I am either interested in a book, or I am not. I either finish a book within a few days, or I do not finish it at all. A 600 page book has been read within a day and a half. My eyes typically hurt after I finish a book, and it isn't something I am eager to redo.

I do not know what was different about 2017. New glasses perhaps? What books did I read? Here are a few, in no particular order.

  • Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe-Benjamin Alire Sáenz
  • A Man Called Ove-Fredrik Backman
  • My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry-by Fredrick Backman
  • Orphan Train-Christina Baker Kline
  • The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Pakistan and Afghanistan-Kim Barker
  • The Help-Kathryn Stockett
  • China Rich Girlfriend-Kevin Kwan

The book I am currently reading is "The Good Soliders" by David Finkel. I've only recently started reading it. So far so good!

This new year has no resolutions for me. I plan on continuing my yoga practice, maintaining a healthy lifestyle, and hopefully have new adventures in 2018. Do you have any resolutions? If you have any book recommendations, let me know!

I hope you had a great first week January, and that 2018 is filled with adventure, peace, and wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment