Saturday, May 23, 2015

Spanish, Expats, and Rain.

This week for the most part was pretty uneventful. I worked, I went grocery shopping, and I've been working on my Spanish. I've been living a typical boring life!

Speaking Spanish is always very awkward. Speaking any new language is awkward and scary. I know my accent is bad. Every time I speak I feel like Brad Pitt in Inglorious Bastards. There is a scene where Brad Pitt, who has a Southern accent, has to pretend to be Italian in a scene in order to be undercover. It seems most people seem to understand my Spanish if I keep sentences short and very basic.

Gif link
Before moving down here, when I closed my eyes I often thought of an expat being White with horrible Spanish speaking accents...much like Brad from above. To my surprise, I was wrong. While there are a lot of Canadians in the area, I have also met my share of expats from South America (Venezuela, Argentina) and various countries from Asia. It makes sense now, but prior to the move I suppose I did not give it any thought. 

The surf has been awful this week. With that in mind, we had our first big rain storm of the season. The district in which we live gets the least amount of rain out of all of Panama. When it rains, it pours. Luckily the rain typically only lasts around 30 minutes. The rain is beautiful and it is calming. 



That's the week in a nutshell. Nothing super exhilarating to write about this week. This upcoming week I am hoping the surf gets better as I am craving some humiliation and relaxation; isn't that an oxymoron?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment