Saturday, May 16, 2015

Waves and Spanish

This week is becoming much like every other week. I wake up, I work, and I try to surf when I can. It is kind of the story of my life and I feel like things are starting to become routine. Things that were once "exotic" are now becoming a norm for me. Fruits like mangos grow on trees here in abundance, and surfing is just a fun thing to do when I can. Speaking and hearing Spanish is also becoming a new normal.

My workload this week provided some extra time to go surfing. Yeehaw! I was able to surf three days in a row now. My body is sore, and I always come out with some physical bump, scrape, or bruise on my body from each surf session.  I have enjoyed my new surfboard, although I have only spent about 3% of my time on it actually standing. The swell this week has been prime for anyone wanting to learn or take advantage of the swell.

The beach by my house is beautiful. I really enjoy it. The beach is relatively short and is really not great to run on or surf. But there are times where you often find yourself only having to share the beach with a few other people. Earlier this week was a prime example of that as the photos of the waves were taken. The waves are usually half this size on a good day. It was lovely!





This week allowed me to brush up on my Spanish. Although my Spanish is very poor, I am finding that the program I am using is easier than I last remembered prior to moving to Panama. It makes sense. I am a very kinetic learner. I love learning and love applying what I learn and generalizing it.

The idea of going back to the United States (or any country that speaks primarily English) baffles me. Pointing, hand gestures, and a horrible accent are very normal for me. I look forward to the day that I can speak Spanish without having to rehearse what I say before I order food or talk to a store clerk.

Although Panama at times feels very lonely, surfing this week and working on my Spanish seemed to help. Panama feels very much like home for me so I do not have any regrets moving. It is just a process. It is just my Panamanian perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment