Monday, August 3, 2015

Healthy Living in Panama

People ask me on a regular basis whether or not living in Panama is really less money than living in the United States. Truth be told, it all depends on what you do and how you spend your money. One thing I can say about living on less money in Panama is related to health care.

This week was quite the busy one for us with check ups. I have been slacking on how often I see an eye doctor and a dentist despite going regularly as a child. Even though we had insurance with our jobs, it seemed like we still always paid a lot out of pocket if we needed anything beyond the basic of basics. We do not have insurance down here; we don't need it.

We made an appointment to see a dentist at a nearby office. I had read great things about this office so I was excited to see if my experience would be similar. I am happy to report it was! Our dentist was awesome! She gave both of us an exam and teeth cleaning and we were charged $100 total.

The biggest surprise that my dentist, not a hygienist cleaned my teeth. When she was running late she came out and talked to Robert and me telling us she was 15 minutes behind--again, a first from my experience. The best thing was that both Robert and I were cavity free this time!

Photo link

Our next appointment was to get our eyes checked. Yet again, another place I should go to more regularly but choose not to since all of the extra add-ins I get for my glasses (transitions, anti-glare, and anti-scratch) add up very fast. 

Robert didn't need glasses. I needed new glasses, although that is not a surprise. I got all that I normally get in my glasses. By the time it was all said and done, we walked out of the office paying just under $300. My new glasses should be coming in later this week. 

Photo link

I have also written other experiences about seeing a doctor. Her visits have costed me $7 each visit and she is by far the best doctor I had. 

Fried food is abundant here, but free refills on sodas are not. I have began drinking Coke once or twice a week, which is a 180 for me since I went over 10 years without drinking soda on a regular basis. In spite of it I have lost weight and have gotten healthier in Panama. 

It probably also helps with the fact that I have gone from working 40+ hours a week to working half of that. I fill my extra time with yoga, Zumba, and of course surfing! Not only has my physical health benefited from the move, but my mental health has also improved a lot; I'm slowly working on my social health, although that is pretty good too.

While things here are not always less expensive, I can say that being healthy down here is relatively easier seeming and definitely a lot less. I know that the cost of things are relative, after all, minimum wage is $600/month here. However, compared to the States, health care is definitely a lot less!


No comments:

Post a Comment