Monday, August 24, 2015

Incorporating Yoga with Climbing a Fence

Yoga has become my latest form of exercise.  It is great for so many different things, including flexibility, strength, and mental health. For a list of health benefits to yoga, you can read this article.

Yoga is not about having to be super flexible. If that was the case many beginners and intermediate people I know would not be doing yoga. Frankly, yoga is for everyone (including you if you're curious)

These poses are not what I am doing in yoga:

photo link


photo link

Someday...

For now I am doing poses more like:

Trying to touch my toes with straight legs
photo link

The whole idea of yoga is to breath and invite your body to go a little bit further without force. One of the (many) benefits of yoga is that you put yourself in uncomfortable positions and work through them. Sound familiar?

Last week my yoga instructor encouraged the class to become mindful of how we think when we get stressed in a yoga pose. What do we tell ourselves when we feel stressed or put in a yoga position that is difficult for us? Sounds a bit like life?

Her words came to reality for me especially last week. I wanted to walk the dogs before I left for work. As I got the dogs out of the house I locked the door and only noticed I grabbed the car keys as I was trying to unlock the gate. 

I was stuck! My phone was inside and could not call anyone. Waiting for Robert to get back from work was not an option since I had to leave for work within an hour of walking the dogs. My only option was jumping a fence for the first time and hoping my landlord was home. Did I mention I was also wearing a maxi skirt?

photo link

After trying my shot at mind control hoping the doors/and or the gate would unlock; no luck. After a few attempts of telling myself I can't do this I did. My next challenge? Hoping that my landlord was home so I could get the keys from him. He was and I was able to put the dogs in the house just in time to leave for work.



With my yoga spirit in mind I learned a lot from climbing the fence. It is something I do not plan on making a regular habit, but it was a great feeling to overcome my doubt. Now if only I could work on touching my toes!




No comments:

Post a Comment