Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thanksgiving in Panama

A November Thanksgiving in Panama does not really exist except to Americans (Canadians have their Thanksgiving in October). The last Thursday of the month is just another day around Panama for most people. Robert and I originally had no plans on celebrating but we accepted a last minute invitation.

By chance we came across frozen brussels sprouts, which were the first ones I have seen in over 10 months. I grabbed six boxes with the intention of keeping four for us. After we were told to anticipate over 25 people at the party, I knew I would have to give them up and hope more would be at the store later. In addition to the sprouts, Robert made delicious honey butter to accompany rolls. Our traditional comfort food was well on its way. 

In preparation for today, Robert and I tried not to eat a lot. We started the day off running errands and incidentally had the breakfast of champions. Don't judge!



The host told us that dinner would be served around 12:30 but to come as early as 11:30. Robert and I got to the condo around 12:15 and we were the first ones there. Eventually people started coming and by 2:30 the food was ready which is typical in Panama. Interestingly enough, this was the first Thanksgiving for the majority of the people who came as there were people from seven different countries at the party including Panama, Venezuela, Argentina, the United States, Canada, Great Britain, and Australia.

Ironically, the Australians are the ones that volunteered to cook the birds (which were chickens due to everything coming together last minute), but there was also a turkey. Their stories about cooking a bird for the holiday was hilarious, in part because the chicken still had its head and feet attached. I overheard another person saying that this is a very common way to get chickens from the butcher (frozen, packaged ones don't really exist here).




There was a lot of delicious food that omnivores and carnivores could enjoy. 


Can you guess whose plate is whose?



After we left the party we went back to the store to get more brussels sprouts. They were gone and frozen chopped spinach had taken their place. And this, ladies and gentlemen was why I was hoarding them, and I turn into this: 


I am thankful for a lot of things. I am grateful for Robert, my family/friends, living in Panama, our dogs, our health, being able to eat brussels sprouts, and being able to have our first Panamanian Thanksgiving. 

Interestingly enough, although Thanksgiving is not a tradition for most Panamanians, Black Friday has infiltrated stores here. From what I have been told by expats living here for 5+ years Black Friday and the commercialization of Christmas is a relatively recent tradition here. And for those of you wondering, I will not be participating in Black Friday festivities.  



Panamanians are catching on quicker than
the Americans
While I know not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving, today was a fun day to see people come together. After all, this is what the holidays for us are about family, friends, and good memories. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment