Thursday, April 5, 2018

Easter and Semana Santa in Panama

We hope you had a good Easter. We did! Traffic can get chaotic around here as people that live in Panama City spend part of the week in the countryside; aka, where we live. Beaches, roads, and stores get crowded. It makes for a great excuse to binge watch a tv series or work on a project you've been putting off.

All government offices were closed by Thursday at noon. Good Friday is a national holiday. I have read that government officials figure most of their workers are already absent mentally the day ahead, planning their trip and their holiday festivities.

Robert and I did all of our grocery shopping ahead of time. A typical 10 minute drive can easily be tripled when traffic hits. I read today that somebody's normal 10 minute drive took roughly 60 minutes. Yikes!

Somebody had too much fun. Traffico Panama

We tried watching some of The Divergent movies. I like some of the main actors (Shailene Woodley, Miles Teller, and Ansel Elgort) in other movies. What did we have to lose? The first movie was okay. We barely made it through the second movie and never discussed attempting the third.

I focused my attention on making cloth wipes to go along with the cloth diapers we plan on using. It has been years since I touched a sewing machine. Cutting two pieces of fabric into squares and sewing them together seemed easy enough, despite my lack of sewing abilities. It was, once I got a rotary cutter that had a sharp blade and I figured out/remembered how to use the sewing machine. It's safe to say that I will not be quilting any time soon. Haha!

My first two wipes finished and ready for duty.

Robert stayed busy as well. He helped me cut some of the squares. He also did some miscellaneous projects around the house and read. The weekend was mostly about relaxing for him, which is exactly what it should be.

Easter weekend is the last major holiday in Panama until November. Things are quieting down as snowbirds (people who live here half the year) from the US and Canada are heading back. Walking the beach for a kilometer or two (0.5-1 miles) is possible on the weekday. The rainy season should also start in the next couple of weeks. Time to enjoy the peace and tranquility of Panama.

No comments:

Post a Comment